Hyderabad: Biodiversity Flyover shut for three times.

Hyderabad: Biodiversity Flyover shut for three times.

Hyderabad: Saturday’s injury on the Biodiversity Flyover perhaps waited to occur. The driving habits on the flyover were those that in the previous six days, the Cyberabad Traffic Police had issued a gorgeous 550 over-speeding challans, averaging nearly 100 violations of the rate limit, which is 40 km every day. Expressing shock and distress in the accident, Municipal Administration and Urban Development Minister KT Rama Rao directed the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) and also the Cyberabad Police to close the flyover in Order to install speed management and safety measures on the centre.

The Minister instructed GHMC Engineer-in-Chief R Sridhar and Cyberabad Police Commissioner VC Sajjanar to get an evaluation of the structure done by an independent expert committee.

“Distressed to hear today’s injury on Biodiversity flyover.

Meanwhile, the Mayor Bonthu Rammohan, instructing officials to shut the flyover for three times for taking up rate regulation steps, announced an ex gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the relatives of the woman who perished in the collision. Deputy Mayor Baba Fasiuddin visited with the hospital at which those were treated and interacted together.

DRF rescue operations

Earlier in the afternoon, the GHMC’s Disaster Response Force (DRF) teams rushed to the accident spot and initiated rescue operations, besides clearing the tree branches from the accident spot and facilitating free flow of traffic.

The civic body officials said the flyover was constructed according to the Indian Road Congress (IRC) guidelines without compromising on the security and safety of the motorists. Even with 40 kmph signage boards installed on the flyover, many drivers were driving vehicles at over 90 kmph. The most important reason for Saturday’s accident was the driver speeding his automobile he said.

Although the structure was constructed as per IRC rules and regulations, measures for rate regulation were being taken up and, consequently, the flyover will be closed for visitors for three days.

Two weeks ago, two men were killed on the flyover when they stopped to catch a selfie near the Skyview building. Signboards attractive to motorists not to exceed the rate limit and to not take selfies have been set up on the flyover, officials said.